Develop Material or Service
The development of instructional material or services varies with the type of project. Interactive materials, online courses, and text-based tutorials will each differ greatly from the other. The steps common to all types of instructional development include:
- Determine the instructional strategy that fits the learning objective.
- Research other similar materials that might already be available. Then determine if it is best to adapt existing materials as opposed to creating materials from the ground up.
- Determine the best medium in which to develop the materials in terms of usability for the learner, and ability to provide needed feedback through assessment and evaluation.
- Create a storyboard of the project to help visualize how you will bring the content to life for the learner. Then revise based on what you learn from the storyboard.
- Use content experts where needed to gain information. After the information is organized into a draft format, have the content expert review it for accuracy and completeness.
- Once the initial drafts seem to have solid content, fine tune the organization and usability of the instruction.
- As the content is developed, the assessment instruments should also be designed.
- Revise the final draft and prepare for implementation.